The Foch Street Warehouses is a series of three former warehouses that have been redeveloped into modern multi-use buildings housing retail, restaurant, office, and creative tenants. The buildings are located in the Fort Worth’s exciting new mixed use urban district: the West 7th Street Corridor part of Fort Worth’s Cultural District. Building 2 is slated for redevelopment in 2011 and leasing discussions are underway. To learn about the new building plans and leasing opportunities please visit our leasing page.
HISTORY OF THE FOCH STREET WAREHOUSES
All three buildings were constructed immediately following WWII, between 1947 through 1953, and serve as reminders of the former industrial character of the West 7th Street Corridor and what is now the Cultural District.
BUILDINGS 1 AND 2
Buildings 1 and 2 were constructed starting in 1946-47 and were completed between 1948-49. They were built and operated by Fort Worth’s Leonard family, the noted pioneer discount retailers, urban commercial real estate investors, residential recreational and golf course developers and pecan farm owners. These two buildings (and their nearby cousins around White Settlement Road at University Drive) were very early examples of immediate post-WWII advances in construction techniques and industrial design. Each building incorporated concrete column roof support with “twin T” concrete roofs. The two buildings incorporated automatic interior fire sprinkler systems which have been modified and updated, but are still in use.
The central, convenient location and utilitarian interior design have served the properties well over their 62+ year lives (and thereby justified their preservation and adaptive reuse). Over the years, the properties served many uses including agricultural storage, light manufacturing, and general retailing. Tenants over the years have included a “who’s who” of Fort Worth-based companies including: Leonard’s Farm & Ranch Store, Williamson Dickie Manufacturing, Montgomery Ward & Co, Tandy Mart, Tandy Crafts, Tandy Leather, Merribee Needlecraft, Radio Shack, Bombay Company, and GST Manufacturing (formerly Clemens Sheet Metal).
Building 3 was apparently constructed in two phases in the early 1950s. Old plat maps suggest this building was originally constructed as a railway-served peanut storage and processing warehouse. Because of its orientation toward the railroad spur (which used to run through the present day Foch Alley between Buildings 2 and 3), the building had multiple large loading doors on the west side.
In the early 2000s, a partnership affiliated with the James R Harris Partners company purchased the buildings and began gradually redeveloping them for retail and office uses.